Monday, May 7, 2012

Mother's Intuition or Paranoia?

It has been six days since The Big One has eaten, and I'm starting to really worry. She nibbles here and there, but that's about it. Today she ate more than she has since Monday and this is what she ate: half of a pop tart, 3 bites of pizza, approximately 10 blueberries, less than a half ear of corn (on the cob), 4 bites of spaghetti, and a swiss cake roll. She won't even eat her favorites or sweets, no matter how often I try. Her fever is gone for the most part, but she gets a low grade temp around bedtime. And she is tired. All. The. Time.

For six days, I have not had to fight with her to take a nap or go to bed at night. We usually have a 2-3 hour battle every night, now she is asleep within 20 minutes. She's not her usual out of control self, and if she does play after about 30 minutes she is complaining of being tired and just lays on the couch. I miss my out of control preschooler.

It breaks my heart to hear her say she doesn't want to eat because she's tired. I hate that she rarely asks to go outside, and that I haven't had her begging for me to play with her for over a week. I can't help but feel that they are missing something. The Little One started with the same cold like symptoms around the same time (although never had a fever) and she is starting to get better, but The Big One isn't.

The ER doctor's words just keep resonating in my mind. "Her white blood cell count is elevated, but I can't find the source." I keep thinking that I remember seeing concern in his eyes, but that is probably my mommy worry playing tricks on me.

Tomorrow is Monday. The pediatrician's office is open (I hate that this stuff usually happens over a weekend).  I'll be sitting, with phone in hand, waiting for the office to open at 9:00. I'm probably overreacting, but I won't be able to shake this feeling until she is back to normal. I never thought I'd say this but, I want my rambunctious preschooler back!

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the 'it always happens on the weekend' thing. It seems whenever my kids get sick, it's on Friday night. I hope your daughter is just a bit sluggish and getting over a virus and nothing scarier is going on!

    ReplyDelete