Thursday, September 27, 2012

Vacation: The Aftermath

I love vacation! The excitement builds as you count down the days and optimistically you make plans to see the sights or meet up with friends and family . "Hope to see you" e-mails and facebook posts are met with well-intentioned "We'll make sure of it" or "Of Course! Can't wait to see you!"  Every day of vacation is packed with promises of meetings and activities, much like the overstuffed suitcases refusing to zip closed.

Inevitably on vacation something or many things do not go according to plan. Vacation days seem to have less hours in them than regular days and before you know it, half your vacation has gone. Kids get sick or cranky, it turns too hot or cold, schedules conflict and everyone gets tired. Inevitably the self inflicted pressure to do everything and see everyone injects stress into your escape from reality.  Before you know it, it's time to go home. The list of "must do's" has not been completed and you board the plane wishing you would have...

If you have  been following my sporadic (at best) posts, you are aware that we have recently come home from a vacation in New Hampshire. I was born and raised in New Hampshire, and it is where most of my family still resides. We had a great time, and although we didn't get to see everyone we wanted to, it was nice to be "home". I will get around to blogging about our vacation soon...

A taste of "home":




We have been home for exactly 9 days and I still have a suitcase needing to be unpacked, laundry to be put away, and empty suitcases and carry-ons to be stored. Until yesterday only the carry-ons had been unpacked (all credit goes to the Captain for that). I just can't seem to recover from my vacation hang-over.  I expected the first couple days home to be met with the usual sadness of missing family coupled with regrets of those I didn't get to see and visits that were too short or disastrous. I did not, however, expect to have such a difficult time getting back into our groove.

For the past two days I have been forcing myself to accept that my escape from reality is over. I once again must cook and clean, entertain the girls (without back-up) and do laundry. Bills need to be paid so the Captain must work and that leaves me home alone with the girls 12+ hours a day. Both girls came home with ear infections so there are doses of antibiotics to be given, snotty noses to wipe, humidifiers to fill and whining to be heard. I have left behind the warm days and cool evenings and returned to a dew point that increases the temperature 15 degrees. Entire days spent outside have given way to the comfort of the AC indoors.

I know that this too shall pass. The girls will get well, the Captain will eventually have a day off and the weather will soon remind me why we live here. We will soon fall back into our routine of Story Time, gymnastics and play dates. Preparations for Halloween begin the frenzy of holidays and birthdays, leaving little time for the "after vacation blues". With a little luck, it won't be two years before we are able to visit "home" again!

No comments:

Post a Comment