Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rainy Day Fun: DIY Colored Rice

Last week we had three days of rain. For some of my readers that may not seem like much, but it's unusual here in the Sunshine state. The Big One gets pretty antsy if it rains for one day, so I was pulling out all the stops to try to keep her entertained. 

We had some leftover salt-dough from a project we had tried (and failed at) so I gave  it to her with some flour and a cookie sheet. Although it kept her busy for over an hour, I had quite a time cleaning up the mess. I think there are still remnants of flour and salt dough in her booster seat. At our last play date, I was telling Daycare Mom about my love-hate relationship with the salt-dough idea. Loving that it kept her busy, but hating the mess. Daycare Mom suggested that I use rice instead. What a genius idea! Why didn't I think of that? So that night after the girls were in bed the Captain and I made colored rice.

It is cheap, easy to make and The Big One loved it!


Here's what you need:

White Rice
Rubbing Alcohol
Food Coloring
Plastic Sandwich Bags
Paper Towels
Paper Plates

Here's what you do:

1. Mix 2 teaspoons alcohol with 10 drops of food coloring in a plastic baggie. (For purple we mixed 5 drops blue with  5 drops red and for orange we mixed 5 drops yellow with 5 drops red)

2. Add one cup of white rice. Seal the bag and shake it until the rice is completely coated with color.


3. Spread the colored rice out on a paper towel. We spread our rice on paper plates covered with a paper towel, but you could use a cutting board, cookie sheet, plate- whatever you have. The paper towel keeps the food coloring from staining whatever you are using.



4. Let it dry. It took about 2 hours for our rice to dry completely. Then we mixed it all together in a large rectangular container.


I gave the Big One some measuring cups and spoons to fill and pour. She also enjoyed burying her smaller figurines. The possibilities are endless and clean-up is a snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment