Sunday, August 18, 2013

Preschool Jitters

Bug is starting preschool tomorrow. Her very first day  of school.(I can't believe I just typed that!) She is tossing and turning in her bed as I write this- nervous that she won't know anyone. She is scared that she will be all alone without us, her family, by her side. She is excited that she will get to learn new things and of course play with new toys.

I cuddled with her for a while after tucking her in bed, reassuring her that she was going to have a great day. I promised her there is nothing to be afraid of and that she will make many new friends. We snuggled together and prayed together. We prayed that God would watch over her and ease her fear. After we said "Amen", she squeezed me tighter and said "I feel better, and now a little sleepy."

Too bad that was 2 hours ago and she is still awake!

And as I held her, I felt the lump rise in my throat. For the first time in two years I am entrusting my child in the care of someone other than myself or her dad. She will be alone and scared, and I will not be there to comfort her. I have promised that she will have a great time, and deep in my heart I know that she will, but what if she doesn't? What if she doesn't make a new friend?

I know the chances of that are slim to none, but I can't help but worry about my precious girl.  My girl is about to start her own journey. She will begin to exert her independence more and more each day, and I no longer have control over her every waking moment. I am now trusting perfect strangers with my flesh and blood.

Though I worry, I am also excited for her..
She is going to learn so much and I am excited to watch her grow and to hold her hand in this journey we call life. My little girl is now getting ready to go to big kid school!

No comments:

Post a Comment