Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Little Things

My husband is the captain of a local charter boat (the reason I call him The Captain) and before children, I would go out with him every chance I got. I miss it. It really is an awesome time. I love being out on the water and seeing the dolphins play behind the boat. The dolphins are definitely my favorite part of the trip.




Pics I took the last time out on the boat

Another part of the trip I loved was meeting the different people. Watching the amazement on the faces of strangers who are seeing dolphins jumping in the wild for the first time is something I could never tire of. We still reminisce about different people we’ve met and of times spent on the boat.

Now that we have kids, I can’t just throw on my suit (not that I would be caught dead in a bathing suit right now) pack a beach bag and head to the marina for a day of fun in the sun. So the hubby indulges me and tells me about the people on the boat. Today he came home with the usual tales, but one in particular has stayed with me all evening.

One of the customers proposed to his girlfriend today. They stopped the boat, he got down on one knee and asked the woman he loves to spend the rest of her life with him. Now every romantic at heart reading this is right now thinking “Awwwww….”

And I too, thought that initially. But then I was reminded, that technically I am still a newlywed. Here in my household we did things a bit backwards. We got engaged, had The Big One, got pregnant with The Little One and then got married.

Our six month anniversary just passed on the 14th without so much as a word about it from either of us. And although I wouldn’t change a thing, I suddenly felt a little robbed. We celebrated being married all of about 7 days. We were giddy with the “This is the first time we’re going grocery shopping married” and “This is the first time we are going to church married” stuff for a bit, but then life took over and the novelty wore off.

I can’t help but think that if we didn’t have a child, and if I wasn’t very pregnant with our second, that we maybe would have celebrated the little things more. But when you are spending four hours trying to get your two year old to sleep and barely getting sleep yourself because you have a parasite growing and moving inside you, the little things just don’t seem as important.

I can’t help but think that if we didn’t have children, that if we had done things a bit differently that our six month mark would have been something to celebrate. Don’t get me wrong we have plenty to celebrate. We love each other, we laugh, and we support each other 100%. We have two healthy daughters who learn new things and give us cause to celebrate every day.

I guess it just makes me realize that I need to spend a little more time celebrating the man who loves me, the man who puts up with my daily moods (however challenging they can be), and the man who gave me these two beautiful girls that we celebrate every day.

How often do you let life get in the way of celebrating the little things? It is, after all, the little things missed that we regret later in life.
Our Wedding Day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment